Friday, August 14, 2009

Gelatin Experiment

Well...I tried the gelatin experiment last weekend. It was very very messy. The paintings were done on 12 inch x 15 inch pieces of watercolor paper. I was able to get three paintings out of one color scheme with some differences in each. I had to add a little paint by the last painting, but for the most part I put enough on the gelatin to make the paintings work for a 9 inch x 12 inch painting on each piece of paper. I liked the way the paintings turned out, but they were not exactly what I expected. I am sure that I will need to work with the process more and not just give up after this one time. I just have a problem with instant gratification. I need to learn a little more patience. I will try again this weekend and try for a little more variety in the paint and paintings themselves. I might even try doing them like a lithograph. Put on some color and let that dry before using more colors in different places on the gelatin. The first try was using all the paint on the gelatin at the same time and just pressing the paint around. I meant to bring some paintings in today to scan, but I was rushing to get out of the house this morning and forgot to get them. I will try to bring them in next Friday. It takes a while for the gelatin paintings to dry because the paint can be a little thicker in spots. That is something that I also need to work on...getting a more even looking painting so that the paint doesn't crack. Possibly adding mediums might help as well. Like I said...this is not something that is going to be perfected quickly. I titled the paintings Gelatin 1, 2, and 3. I will for sure have them ready to be scanned next week along with the ones I do this coming weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment